NEW SKIRT PROJECT: COBY AUGUST
I started my Coby August skirt last winter after reading a super easy tutorial on how to make a simple flair skirt. My excitement pushed me to pick the perfect fabric, cut out the skirt shape, and sew store-bought bias tape to the bottom of the skirt. Then my laziness took over, and I stashed the unfinished skirt in my project box. Now that my enthusiasm for skirts has returned, I pulled the Coby August (my adorable little nickname) skirt out of the box.
After spending a few hours adding a waistband, then cutting it off, and adding another waistband, I decided I hate the skirt and will save the elastic and the fabric for another use. Which by the way, can I reuse elastic even when I’ve sewed crap all over it? I guess I will find out when I piece together bits and pieces of used elastic. Anyway, because I hate the skirt and use the elastic and fabric for another use, I will just point out my mistakes and issues (on the skirt – not personally).
*sigh* Where do I even begin? On the bright side, I know where I went wrong in some areas and know what to avoid on future skirt projects. One, I was too generous measuring myself for the elastic waistband. Way too generous. I figured once I sewed the elastic to the skirt, I would lose some of the elasticity. Nope, that didn’t happen. Then I had the bright idea to simply fold the elastic down into the skirt, creating a casing.
Nope that little “fix” didn’t work either. Luckily, the skirt was too long to begin with, and I had some room for adjustments and minor fixes. I had one last shot at adding elastic to the waist, and I decided to pin the 2-inch elastic to inside of the skirt. What I SHOULD HAVE done was take a needle and thread to the top of the skirt, make big and loose straight stitches, and gently pull at the thread ends to create a ruffle or bunchy area (I don’t know the technical term).
By pulling on the thread ends, you’re gathering the top of your skirt to match the size of the elastic band. This sounds like a great and simple method to use, but did I remember to use it? Of course not. My simple little mind can only hold so much information, and right now, it’s storing so much useless pop culture information. I ended up spending about an hour or less carefully pinning the skirt to the elastic and strategically folding fabric in some areas.
Good news: the skirt fit perfectly. Bad news: Charlie thought the skirt looked a teeny bit too short, and the hem was obviously crooked in one area. Poop. Under normal circumstances, I probably would’ve taken the time to fix the hem. But because I am not 100% in love with the skirt, I decided to wave the white flag and surrendered to the skirt project. I have no doubt in my mind that I will try the project again with different fabric.