During the past few months, I have been showing my co-workers some of my refashion projects (mainly the skirts and the infinity scarves). One day, one of my co-workers, Juliet, asked whether a sweatshirt could be expanded a wee bit. One of her nieces had given her a cute Jersey Shore sweatshirt during a recent trip. Unfortunately, the sweatshirt was a tad too small for Juliet. Well, the neckline, sleeves, and armpit areas were well fitted for her, but the body of the sweatshirt was too small.
When Juliet modeled the sweatshirt, I knew exactly how to remedy the issue, which is odd because I’ve never refashioned a sweatshirt or anything similar. Because the armpit area was a fine fit for Juliet, I decided to cut out a tall triangle piece from the side seams and simply insert a slightly bigger triangle piece from stretchy knit jersey fabric. The process sounded simple, but I was still terrified to work on the project.
This sweatshirt wasn’t mine. I had no room for major errors. If I made a mistake, I couldn’t give up and throw it away or turn into an infinity scarf. Not to mention, Juliet was kind enough to even buy way too much black ribbed jersey. I wonder whether professionals get a little nervous working on expensive bridesmaid dresses or wedding dresses. I would be too terrified to touch anything like that. I guess I shouldn’t enter that profession.
One night while watching the amazing 50th anniversary Dr. Who special for the third time, I worked on the sweatshirt. I carefully cut out a slim triangle piece from the side seams and cut a slightly bigger triangle from the jersey fabric. I then simply sewed the jersey edge to the sweatshirt edge with a zig zag stitch. Next time I’m on my sewing machine, remind me to lower the tension wheel thingy. I very rarely work with jersey so I learned a few lessons during this project.
I am so incredibly happy with the end result! I think the sweatshirt looks fabulous! More importantly, Juliet absolutely loves loves loves the minor refashion and is excited to wear it. I’m pretty proud of myself for not making too many mistakes (I had some minor issues with the triangle tip) and not giving up. And with the rest of the jersey fabric, I plan to make an infinity scarf for Juliet. Yay!