SKIRT REFASHION: UPTON JULY
I bought this polo shirt online for Charlie, but I didn’t like the look once I received it in the mail. I had every intention of returning to the local retail store, but my forgetfulness and laziness trumped my good intentions. So, I decided to turn the polo shirt into a simple skirt with an elastic waist.
The process was pretty simple: cut off sleeves and collar and hem the top portion. At first, I wanted to use elastic thread to shir — or shirr — the top portion of the skirt. Unfortunately, my mom’s sewing machine wasn’t too fond of the elastic thread in the bobbin area. I tried to hand sew the elastic thread, but I was frustratingly unsuccessful.
I went to my go-to method — create a casing and insert piece of elastic. Boom! Another skirt completed! Except I wasn’t 100% in love with the new skirt. It needed … something. I found a scrap of dark blue fabric in my stash, cut it into small strips, and braided three strips, with the intention of using it as a belt or sash. But I didn’t like the potential embellishment.
With a little more thought, I decided cute fabric flowers would be perfect to jazz up the skirt. However, sewing a simple fabric flower onto a skirt took a lot more effort than I thought, but in the end, I love love love the floral embellishments to the skirt. I think Upton July might be my new favorite skirt.