SKIRT REFASHION: WEATHERBY AUGUST
I have a love-hate relationship with this skirt, Weatherby August. I took two pairs of khaki pants that didn’t fit Charlie anymore. The pants were a little big and a little too long for me, but a few hot washes and a belt could remedy the size issue. So, I turned the two pairs of pants into two pairs of khaki shorts with a hemmed rolled cuff. But what could I do with four pant legs (ONE) with the original hem intact (TWO)? Hello, new skirt!
The process was simple — my favorite method. I cut open all four pant legs (THREE) and removed the heavier side seam. I lined up the four rectanglish pieces side by side (FOUR) and hand stitched three of the panels together, giving me one long rectangle piece. I created a wide casing for an elastic waist and sewed the three panels closed. Before snaking the elastic into the casing, I tried on the skirt to discover it was a teeny bit too short.
I have no desire to show the world even a hint of my bum. Luckily, I had the fourth pant leg at my disposal. The leg was cut and sewed into a very long rectangle, which I folded and sewed in half lengthwise. Basically, I created a tube and then carefully sewed it to the top part of the skirt, poking myself several times with the needle (still no sewing machine). My finger hurt from a combination of dry skin and one too many needle pricks.
Now, my skirt fits me perfectly, and I am ecstatic that I turned two pairs of khaki pants into two pairs of shorts and one skirt! Other than little bits and scraps, I wasted very little, which makes me happy. ANNNNND I completed all three refashions without a sewing machine! I sat my bum down in front of the TV for some background noise and went to work with my needle, thread, and scissors. I couldn’t be more proud of myself.