SKIRT REFASHION: ZUTELL SEPTEMBER
Jenn for the win! Finally, I am finished with creating or refashioning 26 skirts. Granted, not all creations and refashions were a success and I will revisit those failures at a later time. After accepting a part time job at a local retail store, I needed to add some red shirts and khaki pants or skirts to my wardrobe (care to guess where I work) because oddly enough, I only own one pair of khaki pants.
I found a couple of khaki pants that weren’t my size at all, but I was more interested in the clearance price not the numbers on the size label. With the khaki capris, I knew I could easily refashion it into a new skirt for work. I took out the inside seams of the capris — easy enough — and then I turned the project into a complicated mess because that’s what I do. I take something simple and then throw in some obstacles.
From talking with other refashioners and reviewing other pants-to-skirt tutorials, I thought I needed a triangle piece to insert in the front panel of the skirt. I didn’t worry about the back panel because I simply sewed a small slit. Maybe I should try the work-in-progress skirt before attaching a bigger-than-needed triangle piece. Maybe I shouldn’t guess or cross my fingers, hoping for the best.
Anyway, I added a bigger-than-needed triangle piece in the front panel, making the skirt look ridiculous. Sometimes I really should look both ways before jumping in with both feet. I took out the triangle piece and made it considerably smaller. I reattached the triangle piece, and the skirt looked much much better. Now, I needed to fiddle with the waistband that was too big for me.
Again, I kind of knew what to do after reviewing other tutorials. I pinched together the waistband in two different places, sewing the pinched area in place. The waistband was still big after sewing two small pinches so I pinched together a bigger area, making the skirt fit a teeny bit better. When I have more time, I’ll probably add one more big pinch to the waistband, but for now, the skirt is ready for work!