REFASHION: SIDE SEAM PRACTICE
While rummaging through my refashion stashes, I discovered three T-shirts that weren’t quite ready for my T-shirt quilt bin. Unfortunately, the three tees were a bit too small for me, but with a little tampering, the tees fit me again! In a previous post, I tried several methods to enlarge a shirt and found a simple process that I liked.
With the brown Holt International tee, I cut two strips from a yellow refashioned skirt that I never wore and simply inserted them into the side seam. The process was simple because I used the skirt’s hem (I love no-hem refashions) and aligned it with the shirt’s hem. I like the “sporty” look of the yellow strips and the strips match the yellow font.
The Office may be over, but my love for Dunder Mifflin staff is not. I can’t toss my awesome T-shirt to my quilt box! At first, I added strips from one of Charlie’s old work shirts, thinking the plaid pattern would be a cute little wink to a dress code at the office. After sewing one strip in and trying on the shirt, I didn’t like the look at all. Just too busy.
In my stash, I had an old white lace tank in need of repair, but I felt the material would be better used as strips for the Dunder Mifflin T-shirt and an old family T-shirt (dark blue with white writing). For the Dunder Mifflin shirt, I used the non-lace side of the tank, matched the tank and shirt hems, and sewed the white strips into the open side seams.
I used the lace side of the tank top for the family company T-shirt and cut the strips a little too big, which made the seam near the arm pit area frustrating. With some tinkering and lack of impatience, I made the shirt sleeve seam work. After enlarging about half dozen shirts, I’m nowhere near perfecting the process but I’m happy with the end results.
Categories: Jennifer Elliott