As a Pinterest junkie, I found this neat method to create a square patchwork quilt — or in my case, a quillow. The method — weave long strips of fabric in and out of other long strips of fabric. I bought a few yards of Christmas fabric at 80 cents a yard, knowing it would be the backing for the weave method. So, where in the world do I start? I read the tutorial and understood the method, but I didn’t want my strips to have raw edges. Hmmmmmmmm.


I initially cut strips of random fabric 4 inches wide, folded it in half with the right sides together, sewed a straight stitch to create a tube, and pulled the fabric through the tube. During the process, I realized the tubes were way too narrow and a ton of them would be needed for the project. This girl didn’t have time or patience to deal with a million small tubes. Nope. No way. I really didn’t want to start over, but I had not invested too much time into the first draft.


During the second draft, I cut the strips 6 inches wide, creating a wider tube. Yes, this will work much much better. With my leftover and remnant fabric stash, I created a ton of tubes and sewed the majority of the tubes across the top of the Christmas backing. I simply sewed one open end to the top raw edge of the backing — a better explanation. So far so good as the tubes dangled freely. I sewed the remaining tubes to the side of the backing — again, just one open end of the tube.


When I have more time, I will create more tubes to complete the side rows and fill out shorter tubes. My remnant stash doesn’t include a ton of long pieces so I had to sew small fabric pieces together to create a longer strip. During the first few days on the project, I didn’t want to waste all my free time creating and sewing tubes. I wanted to weave! Weave in. Weave out. I wanted to create some magic. The process is a little time consuming, but I love the end look — so far.


Weave in. Weave out. That’s the basic premise of the method. Using the long strips dangling from the side of the backing, I carefully weaved in and weaved out the side strips with the top strips. After making sure the squares were lined up, smoothed out, and tightly woven, I pinned everything in place and sewed the partial woven areas. Once the sewing portion was complete, I laid the project onto the floor in front of the TV and started weaving again.


I am nowhere close to being complete with the quillow, but after a few days, I had a good start. Because this is the first time I’m using the weave method I wanted to use the odds and ends of leftover fabric. If I feel ambitious to try the method again, I will probably find coordinating fabric. Half of me would like to try the method again using prettier material, but the other half of me says, “This is a ton of work. Just be happy you tried the method in the first place.”

Categories: Jennifer Elliott

Tagged as: , , , , , , , , ,

2 replies »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: